In this guideline, we use the term “cookies” to refer to cookies and other similar technologies covered by the EU directive on privacy in electronic communications.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files, created by the website visited, that contain data. They are stored on the visitor’s computer to give the user access to various functions.
Both session cookies and non-session cookies are used on Oldnwise.com
A session cookie is temporarily stored in the computer memory while the visitor is browsing the website. This cookie is erased when the user closes their web browser or after a certain time has passed (meaning that the session expires).
A non-session cookie remains on the visitor’s computer until it is deleted.
Site functionality and content
The share function is used by visitors to recommend our sites and content on social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. Cookies store information on how visitors use the share function – although not at an individual level – so that the website can be improved. If you do not accept cookies, no information is stored.
- Restricting the number of times you’re shown a particular advertisement (which is sometimes called ‘frequency capping’).
- Remembering if you’ve been to the site before so that messages intended for first-time users are not displayed to you.
Advertising and targeting cookies
Advertising and targeting cookies are used to deliver advertisements more relevant to you, but can also limit the number of times you see an advertisement and be used to chart the effectiveness of an ad campaign by tracking users’ clicks. They can also provide security in transactions. They are usually placed by third-party advertising networks with a website operator’s permission but can be placed by the operator themselves. They can remember that you have visited a website, and this information can be shared with other organizations, including other advertisers. They cannot determine who you are though, as the data collected is never linked to your profile.
The two main ways we use advertising and targeting cookies are set out below:
- Interest-based advertising is where cookies are placed on your device by our third party service providers which remember your web browsing activity and group together your interests in order to provide you with targeted advertisements which are more relevant to you when you visit Oldnwise.com. Your previous web browsing activity can also be used to infer things about you, such as your demographics (age, gender, etc.). This information may also be used to make the advertising on Oldnwise.com more relevant to you.
- Without these cookies, online advertisements you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests. If you would like more information about interest-based advertising, including how to opt-out of these cookies, please read ‘How do I control my cookies’.
How do I control my cookies?
You should be aware that any preferences will be lost if you delete cookies and many websites will not work properly or you will lose some functionality. We do not recommend turning cookies off when using our website for these reasons.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can alter the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer. Generally, you have the option to see what cookies you’ve got and delete them individually, block third-party cookies or cookies from particular sites, accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is issued or reject all cookies. Visit the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu on your browser to change settings, and check the following links for more browser-specific information.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Safari
How do I reject and delete cookies?
Please note that most browsers automatically accept cookies so if you do not wish cookies to be used, you may need to actively delete or block the cookies.